Hack4Good Fall 2021
What is Hack4Good?
Hack4Good is an 8-week long pro-bono program that matches data science talents from ETH Zurich with non-profit organisations that promote social causes. In close collaboration with such a non-profit, small student teams develop and implement data-driven solutions to increase these organisations’ impact.
Organization of in-person events including kickoff, hacknights and workshops are running at full speed and after the online-edition of Hack4Good in Fall 2020 (restricted due to the Covid-19 pandemic), we are looking forward to an interactive and social hackathon experience!
What is in for participants?
Hack4Good enables participants to simultaneously gain professional work experience in data science with high-profile organisations and to support a social cause. As a participant, you will engage directly with non-profit representatives to get to know one of their pressing challenges and decide with your team how to solve the problem at hand. In doing so, you will be able to learn not only coding but also project management!
Non-profits frequently lack the time and resources to implement analytics projects. However, such projects can often greatly contribute to the ultimate goal of the organisation and thereby produce a positive impact on society. They either help beneficiaries directly or augment the reach of non-profits.
Which projects will be offered?
- Médecins Sans Frontières: Forecasting demand of medical equipment
- IMPACT: Improving respondent selection for humanitarian research in difficult contexts
- Rega: Real-time rescue helicopter dispatch decision support
- GIZ: Predicting agricultural productivity and soil carbon content
- GIZ: Tracing policy implementation of nationally determined contributions related to the Paris Agreement of climate change
- Helvetas: Annual Project Synopsis and Classification
|Application Deadline||Sep 24,|
|Project Start |
|Sep 30, 2021|
|Final Event||Nov 24, 2021|
|Project Duration||8 weeks|
|Event Venue||ETH Hönggerberg and ETH Zentrum|
|Estimated Time Commitment||8h / week|
|Team Sizes||3 – 4|